Thursday, May 17, 2012

{Design Inspiration} Brilliant Bookcases

 Images via Elle Decor

Whenever I think of books and bookcases in the home, I'm always reminded of the quote by John Waters. He says {and I'm paraphrasing} that if you go home with someone who doesn't have any books on their shelves, don't sleep with them. I'm always amused by that quote; not necessarily in a snobby way but because I find books enchanting and stimulating. (I guess I should feel that since I'm a writer myself!) Books are symbols of your interests, hobbies, travels and experiences. They can say a lot about you. For instance, part of my bookcase is covered with children's literature. I adored reading as a child - still do - and one of my many career aspirations is to inspire young people to build a love of reading. I also have many political classics like Plato, Machiavelli, Hobbes and Aristotle from my days as a political science student in university. My spiritual and New Age books are positioned beside my books on popular culture and I still keep with me some of my favourite textbooks from school, like one on urban planning, democratic artworks and environmental geography. I hope that these images from Elle Decor inspire you to incorporate more books into your design scheme. Bookcases are also good places to display your favourite photos, nicknacks, and other memorabilia that you're connected to. You can also fake it with faux wallpaper (which I will get into in more detail in a later post). Which one of these is your favourite images? What's on your book shelves? Happy Thursday, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. There are many beautiful alternatives here but I like one in the last photo most. My bookcases are so full of books that I even have books laying in stacks on the floor. I guess that means it's time to make room for more bookcases. I love books!

    ReplyDelete