Wednesday, May 30, 2012

{Inspiring Spaces} Should Location Matter?


I was browsing through old magazine issues that I purchased at a thrift store when I came across these two spaces featured in the March 2009 issue of Architectural Digest magazine. But before I get into more detail about the spaces themselves, I must admit that I was torn. I liked these spaces but something wasn't fully resonating with me. Can someone have too much floral print? Is there such a thing as texture and pattern overload? You hear about it ... and these two spaces definitely demonstrate a high frequency of texture, pattern and colour. Take a minute to look at the spaces and decide whether you give a thumbs up or thumbs down. Then let me tell you their location. The first flowery house is actually in Florida and was designed by Mario Buatta. The second location is also in Florida, more specifically Key West. When reading that, I thought, "Okay, these spaces do reflect their geography. There's something tropical about both spaces." But would I feel the same way if, let's say, the spaces were in Iceland or Greenland? {Basically somewhere less exotic.} Should it even matter? And what's with all these preconceived notions that I, and others, have? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Image source ~ Architectural Digest. March 2009.

3 comments:

  1. To me, Key West doesn't bring to mind floral patterns and lots of textures. If I had a home there, I'd want it to have solid colored furniture, open white space and maybe some light blue walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the first space better represents Key West then the second does. The second space seems very formal to me, something I don't envision for a tropical place. This is a great post!

    ReplyDelete